Simplicity 1806 View E Top with Japanese Fabric

Dear Readers,

I finally finished, after two weeks, Simplicity 1806, View E with sleeves.  Although I must remark - I think you could potentially make this top in a day or less.  I spent a few hours total on the production. . . but did do some pattern drafting - which took me longer.

Side note:  It's still a bit chilly here in Ventura, the heater was on this morning, and certainly not white linen pants weather (or style, for that matter) but it does show a great contrast with the top.  I plan to wear this blouse with jeans (and probably only, jeans). . . 


 Well, I am a bit down on patterns.  First, I have a bodice sloper that fits perfectly - so any commercial pattern I use - I must adjust - and I certainly tried, with mixed results.  It is, I think, more difficult to re-draft an existing pattern to conform to my sloper (or basic block) than to draft from scratch.  That said, I did get a palatable result.  Not perfect.

The pattern:
Here was my inspiration.  My mother made me wear the blouse in the second grade - and I resisted (as usual)- Here's to my mother for her day - a top reproduced in colors, according to her, "that photograph well."  I toyed with making a lace collar.
It's still a smidge too large in the bodice.  I recommend checking the final measurements (which I did not do because after I redrafted I simply continued on).  Below, tools I used in re-drafting the pattern. . .


I did not use the pattern directions - I simply continued under my own direction after step 3.  I drafted my own collar too - another smaller Peter Pan (yes, readers, seemingly, this is my "go-to" collar) - see below.  I previously made a blouse with the collar suggested in View E and the fabric did not lay correctly once attached.
The final garment below:
The fabric I am using is a Japanese fabric that is a medium weight linen.

I did, however, use the strange "Flange" sleeve pattern suggested by Simplicity - which is a stretched oval, much like a football, folded in half - and each half forms the sleeve to be sewn into armhole.

I also attached the facing using a sloppy fell stitch to the seams. . .If anyone has any suggestions - I'm happy to take them.

Thank goodness for my serger.

I also bought a new pattern making book, used - with great ideas to transform the sloper.  It is shown on the left - I used all three books below re-drafting and sewing this pattern . .


I've spread out some fabrics I wish to sew this spring and summer. . . .
Happy Mother's Day to all Moms out there!

Update:  6/30/2012:  I wear this blouse almost every week - it's perfect!  I hardly remember the trials and tribulations in making this garment!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Haute Couture Societe Annual Fundraiser/Fashion Show

Scrap shorts for me! Not popular in my house. NOT popular.

Vintage U.S. Navy Uniforms Part I