Bernina Aurora 430! & Embroidery - Yeah or Nay?

Dear Readers,

Yes, with a portion of my tax refund - about three months ago I bought a Bernina from a dealer that was retiring (after 50 years) and received a significant discount.  I chose the Bernina Aurora 430.  I didn't really need a new machine - but I did want to upgrade at the discounted price and try a Bernina.  It was a difficult decision in terms of what model to buy and I didn't have a lot of time to think about it.


I list the pattern review HERE.  I am happy I bought it - make not mistake - this is a luxury.  After purchasing it I gave my Janome TB30 to my brother's fiance because her machine broke.  I love it.  It handles lightweight fabrics better than my Janome.  The stitches and stitching power is greater and certainly it is more accurate (once you discount the user:)).

One big difference is the metal bobbin (like my straight stitch Featherweight 221) - I believe it is more precise than the Janome - but to be honest the Janome is a great machine too.   But now that I've gone Bernina I don't know if I'll go back.

One note is that I could have gotten the Aurora 450 for even a better price.  I was uncertain about the 9mm stitches - this is the standard 5.5mm.  I've heard from commenters that most garment sewers prefer the stability of the foot the 5.5mm.   Any comments?  I also heard the much loved TNT CB hook was very reliable and that this machine is a "workhorse."  I'm always attracted to the workhorses.

Well, one more note - I could buy an additional module for embroidery.  I'm never done it - was never interested in it before - but my interest is piqued. One note this machine requires a PC to hook up the module - so I'd have to buy a netbook (we're a MAC house).   It's a good option.

Regarding the idea of embroidery or embellishment - what do you think - embroidery - Yeah or Nay?

Below see some examples. . .




What do you think?  Do you embroider/embellish or have you thought about it?

I don't know if I would use it other than vintage style mexican shirts and skirts, and perhaps some cool jeans.  Although, I must admit -  I love my RTW Hudson jeans.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Haute Couture Societe Annual Fundraiser/Fashion Show

Scrap shorts for me! Not popular in my house. NOT popular.

Vintage U.S. Navy Uniforms Part I